Writing a Constitution
A constitution is the basic framework of an organization. It should state the purpose, the number of officers, the method of their selection requirements for membership, and other general operating procedures that might be subject to frequent change. Detailed methods of doing business and specific rules belong in a document called by-laws. For example, the constitution would establish the fact that dues are a requirement for membership and would outline the method of determining the amount of the dues. The by-laws would then state the specific dues structure. To aid your planning group, a sample constitution and explanation of each section of a constitution has been prepared for your use. The sample constitution is only an example and should not be used as a “fill-in” form. Should you require further assistance in the preparation of your constitution; contact the Office of Student Engagement & Leadership.
Statements MUST be included in the appropriate sections of the constitution. They can not be placed together in one section in the constitution. These statements, listed below, must be included in your constitution word for word.
- Activities that result in undue physical stress or any subtle or covert technique that will impair, make captive, or destroy an individual’s freedom or thought will not be tolerated.
- This organization will adhere to all policies and regulations of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and the University of Louisiana System.
- All fund raising activities shall be carried out in accordance with the rules and policies of the Office of Student Engagement and Leadership.
- Membership shall not be denied on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual identity or disability.
- Any major amendments shall be submitted to the UL Lafayette Organizations Committee for final approval.
You may also submit by-laws, but these are not required.
Need Help with Governing Documents?
If you need further assistance, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.