Ragin’ Cajuns cheerleaders are a co-ed squad that represents the University at all home and away football games, home men's and women's basketball games, and home volleyball games. The cheerleaders attend UCA cheerleading camp during the summer, and compete at UCA College National Championships in January. They also represent the University at other non-athletic functions such as alumni events, pep rallies, youth cheer clinics and camps, and community public appearances.
Tryouts are held in April of each year.
College prep clinics are held in the fall and spring semesters. Dates for fall 2015 and spring 2016 are TBD.
Dates for 2016-17 are TBD, however they will be in the month of April.
Eligibility requirements to tryout for the Ragin' Cajun cheerleaders:
- Must be a currently enrolled student at UL Lafayette, with a current semester GPA of 2.0 minimum; an official copy of your transcript is required.
- For incoming freshman or transfer students, must have applied to University and should be accepted prior to tryouts. A copy of acceptance letter is required. If you have applied, but have not received acceptance to the University prior to tryouts, please contact the spirit squad office.
- Must be a full time student in the fall & spring semesters, minimum of 12 hours each semester.
- Must be willing to establish & maintain high academic & social standards.
- Out of state students who make the squad will have out-of-state tuition fees waived, thus only paying the in-state tuition fees.
- Stipends are awarded to members in good standing on the squad and with the University. Stipends range from $500-$700 and are awarded at the end of the fall/spring semesters.
Practices and Workouts
Cheer practice and strengthening and condition sessions are held throughout the summer, fall semester, winter break and spring semester 2-3 times per week. The practices are held on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday nights; and strengthening & conditioning workouts twice per week.
The Ragin’ Cajuns cheer program, advisor, and coaches are all AACCA certified and abide by all rules set forth by AACCA and the NCAA.